Are You In Or Out? Internal vs. External Motivation Battle
It’s like one of Newton’s Laws of Motion (sounds overused…) that says to every action (force applied) there is an equal and opposite reaction (equal force applied in the opposite direction).
Get the picture?
Motivation is the power that comes from within that pushes you to take action towards to achieving your goal. Simultaneously powered by desire and ambition, and therefore, if these are absent, motivation has no effect.
But, then again, motivation is basically divided into two parts, which might lead to ask how internal vs. external motivation differs?
Motivation in Two Parts
Motivation can be either external (extrinsic) and internal (intrinsic).
External motivation – the driving force that triggers you in achieving your goal.
- A simple smile and encouragement.
Internal motivation – the force that leads you to achieve a goal because of personal satisfaction or desire
- Putting up your own business
- Participating in a competition
Trophies, medals, money, discounts, grades, entrance to programs or schools, new clothes and losing weight are all examples of extrinsic motivators. These are used to motivate individuals to pursue their goals.
Here are some more examples of external motivation:
- Doing an article for a specific website in exchange for a high salary
- Joining a web design competition just to win a brand new iPad Air
- A company needs an employee who is a research addict.
- Doing a logo design for a very prestigious company
- A company looking for a versatile IT enthusiast
These are examples of internal motivation:
- Determination to get a college education
- Putting up a computer cafe
- Working for a company as a blogger
- Participation in an online game competition
- Pursuing a Master’s degree in Computer Science
Intrinsically motivated, you are able to feel some enjoyment and personal satisfaction and develop the skill and competency that you want. It’s a personal accomplishment. It is not about getting something in return.
Ways To Get Motivated Externally
- Disregard What Is NOT Important. Spending so much time on insignificant things is useless.Wasting your time on nonsense is crap. By doing so will give you a time to focus and be productive. Consider only the things that would be beneficial to you.
- Reject Boredom. Boredom means being empty. Think of things that inspire you, things that make you smile. Spend your quality time with really what is worth the effort.
- Laugh a Lot. Spend some time for yourself. Treat yourself to a movie, go swimming, invite friends for a house party. Celebrate. Having a great time could be a great source of stress reliever. Moreover, you get inspirations from it.
- Stay Fit. For some, this is a difficult task to do for they are timid. Pump up irons, jog and do some push ups, go running around your house. It will eventually disturb your physical body, killing laziness and giving you a warm feeling.
- Make a Playlist. Have a list of your favorite songs. Try downloading some of it from Top Billboards charts or from iTunes. Listening to music can inspire you and get that awesome mood to keep everything on the go. Just don’t turn up the volume to recreate the scene. The only thing better than silence is good music.
- Avoid Energy Leeches. Braggers, bummers, killjoys- these people are all sucking up your energy. Don’t get caught under their destructive domain. Isolating yourself from these parasites can set your mood successfully.
- Make Time to be Creative. Discover a new passion. When it comes to building your creativity, Why not try web designing. Take some risks. While your efforts may not lead to success every time, your new found talent will benefit you in the future.
- Support an Advocacy. Support a cause in your neighborhood. Lend a hand. Attend seminars. Go tree planting. Mother nature will surely be crying for your tremendous effort and generosity.
- Have a Break. Call or invite a friend to watch the latest blockbuster movie. Grab a bag of popcorn and soda and enjoy each other’s company.
- Diet Shift. How about changing your diet? Explore and try to devour some new recipes. Break your usual meal. If you love meat, then, it is your time to become vegetarian. Eat and live well. For some people eating is an effective stress reliever.
Ways To Get Motivated Internally
- Think Fun and Variety. Work hard, play hard. It’s nice to think that you are enjoying what you are doing. You no longer feel that it is work.. You are exactly doing both! Monotony is a killer. Motivation comes from doing what is fun. Be happy.
- Make or Deal with Yourself. This avoids procrastination and getting things done. You just simply tell yourself that if you finished a certain task, you treat yourself for some mouth-watering ice cream or a walk in the beach.
- Be Efficient. Take time to rest and think of ways how would you become productive. Look for some ways how to get things done in minimal time. Every minute counts.
- Clean Your Room. Try giving your room a total make-over. Throw some old stuff out of your room. Embrace the unconventional and new. Start fresh. This gives you a sense of beginning.
- Always Think of Your Achievements. Consider your success rather than your failures. It gives you a satisfying relief recalling what you did that made other people proud of you.
- Generate Anticipation. Set a date in the future about something. Make that the start date and get excited about that date. This would make you look forward about the date.
- Master a Skill. Mastering a skill tends to give you a reason to be hooked on it and helps you to think more of other possible and creative ways to enhance it. This is where inspiration comes in.
- Try Befriending Courage and Altruism. Having the courage to do things makes an individual pursue and finish something. It’s their desire. Pair it with the feeling that show motivation to help other people and not being selfish.
- Believe in yourself. Trusting yourself that you can do it unleashes your adrenaline into a high level. This helps you develop the vigor and the power to move on.
- Introspect. Try looking at yourself in the mirror. Close your eyes and imagine yourself alone. Try to ask yourself questions that would make you feel happy. In your solitude, you can focus on yourself.
How Do You Hold on to Your Motivation?
Holding on to your motivation is a little bit exhausting. We need to find ways to overcome it. Try some of these.
- Try setting a goal. This is very important. Divide your goals into several minor goals, each goal leading to your major goal. This will also help you see your goal if it’s feasible or not.
- Understand what you are doing and acquire the habit of always getting to the finish line.
- Socialize with achievers and associate yourself with motivated individuals. Share your interest with them.
- Never entertain the idea of procrastination. This leads to being timid.
- Look at your goals in a wider perspective with a feeling of joy and positivity.
To Cap Off
Motivation, may it be internal or external, the difference can greatly affect one’s personal behavior and character. It helps us validate who we are and who we wish to be by moving towards attaining a certain goal. It only depends basically on the person’s preference.
In what motivation side are you? Intrinsic? or Extrinsic? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.